Sunday 14 September 2008

Lori and I

I realize, are in the most unique position in that our friends and relatives mix very easily and casually. We take our friends home. And when they get there they are reacquainted with great grandparents, grandmothers, grandfathers, aunts, uncles, second cousins once removed, full and half siblings and spouses. We are one close knit blood related lot. Our family is an extension of our personal identities. And we all "fit" into it. Into a space or role. This used to feel like a burden, but not so much anymore. Is this a relic? Something from the olden days? Turn of the century values.

When my mother was young, she and her parents and brother lived in her grandparents white farmhouse. When I was a little girl my grandparents, great aunt and uncle, greatgrandparents and second cousins all lived in one big house. One family on top of the other, living beside a funeral home. I wish I could have experienced that personally and grown up as part of one big group. Stories from that time period, have always indicated to me that those were the golden years. Especially the 1970's when snow drifts were as high as houses. Things that I was born too, too late for.

No comments: