Monday 3 November 2008

C-c-c-currently Reading

The World According to Garp-

I sat down on the breakfast table and found this book lying with it's spine up open to a page about halfway through. I picked it up and looked at it, (with a tiny bit of distaste, because it's in what I'd call a "junk paperback" edition.) But then I started reading it too, from the first page. I snowballed through the first ten pages and I was a little bit hooked. I'm enjoying the world of T.S. Garp.

ALSOOOO

Runaway, by Alice Munro

I bought this in the winter time, and never opened it. Something wrong with the scroll font of the title and the antiquated illo on the cover. But months later I discovered a love of Alice Munro and have been working my way a bit feverishly through her canon.

Reading her I find, is like being told stories about relatives who died before you were born and only being able to see one or two pictures of them in stiff dress clothes as a way of proving they were really human. Maybe that doesn't make any sense.

I find there is often more details that I wish I could have about each character and their story. And that I'm haunted by their stories; usually sad ones when I'm lying in bed with my eyes closed.

I'm about three stories in.

No comments: